Friday, August 1, 2014

CD Store Nostalgia

While out today school shopping for the kids (On a tax free school clothes and supply weekend!), we came across a used CD Store and stopped in.

There is something nostalgic about browsing through a CD store that is lost in todays digital age.  The instant I started browsing, memories of countless hours from my youth instantly rushed back.

Graywhale CD, Raunch, Heavy Metal Shop…etc

The instant excitement of seeing that familiar art cover and the exhilaration of trying to find the elusive title or bargain. I immediately came across an old NOFX vinyl and the rush was on. I started scouring the shelves for "Must have" c.d's that, in all likelihood, I already have access to on Spotify.

While grounding myself to only browse, I came across a few that are sentimental to me.

The hardest part was the $2.99 bargain bin (or 5 for $5). I came across a couple worthy of my $1, when all the sudden a self titled gem stood out! Nerf Herder, S/T.


A true classic and likely in my top ten albums all time. (Okay…at least top 20)

Although I already have this masterpiece, it truly should never be in a bargain bin…right? Shouldn't I at least pay the $2.99 to simply save this CD the dignity it deserves?

The angel on one shoulder, a devil on the other - ripping at me to make my choice. In the midst of my decision making, Natalie notifies me Andrew is repeatedly perusing the poster display and informs us "he wishes he could (in his lifetime) kiss all the scantily clad ladies in bikinis - EVEN if they had regular clothes on".

It is at that moment I am brought back to reality. Even though $2.99 will likely be spent on a soda, and nothing in the grand scale of life, I am at a point in my life where I do not need to spend $2.99 to obtain a 2nd (or maybe even 3rd) copy of a CD.

Maybe another day… but not today. But thank you for the memories anyway.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Andrew to the rescue!! This post brought back so many memories. It's sad that kids these days will never understand the allure of the music store.

Paul & Cassie said...

Paul does the same thing with the poster display at Walmart. I usually have to pay him $2.99 so we can keep shopping.

Keiras King said...

Thx guys. Love the comments