Saturday, October 18, 2014

The town of Spectre

Today - we made the drive to Millbrooke Alabama. We had heard we could possibly gain entry to the old remnants of Spectre (From the film Big Fish). The town was built and left standing on private property on an island off the Alabama River.  The owners gladly let us in and talked with me for a bit.  The Island was used for Jennys house (no longer standing), the town of Spectre, and the enchanted forest. Most of the water scenes were filmed here as well. Today - the only inhabitants are the snakes :(





I really love the film Big Fish - easily in my top 10.  The lessons we learn in life are often too late to fully enjoy.  The town of Spectre is so unique. Does it represent heaven or hell? Are we in a hurry to get somewhere - just to arrive too soon? Do we build our lives to a certain point - only to be leave them behind? In doing so we get to make a choice whether to rebuild those positives or not.  

In the end - I love the message of Father and Son.  It's okay to embellish, to exaggerate, to have fun. I look fondly back at the stories my Father would tell me on our car rides together. Some of which were exaggerated, but that just tells me he really enjoyed those stories!

I often catch myself focusing on the day to day - instead of slowing down and enjoying the days like today!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

This is such an awesome trip to take. Big Fish is one of our top 10 movies too. Dave and his brothers and sisters all said it made them think of their dad when they watched it.